Monday, February 27, 2012

Psalm 151

If I could write my own psalm about prayer...

"In Jesus' name" is so quickly tacked onto a prayer, sometimes all as one word, injezuzname, or highly syncopated "in JESus name." Like in Jesus' name is like some cosmic postage stamp without which no prayer will get past the ceiling.

I often feel so inadequate, my heavenly Father, when it comes to talking directly to You, especially in front of someone else. At the same time I can be so critical of others, I mean, when someone states the obvious like "Lord, you are so good," and yet You are so good. Or someone will pray with a formula as if it's said a certain way, You will be obligated to answer in some predetermined way. Yet You do act in a predetermined way, just not my way or any other human's way.

Your way. Yahweh. It's all about learning Your way. So much of what I do interferes with learning Your way.

But this name thing: hallowed be Your name. Holy is Your name. Your name is Wonderful, Marvelous, King of Glory, Immanuel, Lord, Jesus. And yet Your name was once unspoken, so majestic and mighty and beyond human wisdom that to utter it meant death. Yet Your name is who You are and You are close, inside, where language is unspoken, where words are not necessary. Lord, let me hear Your voice. Let me know Your name.

1 comment: