Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Desiring God

I just watched a segment on the Today show that used the terms "Mama's Boy" and "Daddy's Girl". The commentator said the first one implied weakness and dependence while the other implied strength and opportunity. In our culture our God in heaven is mostly thought of as this huge father figure, with power and awesomeness, being able both to forgive and to judge. We think of Him less as a mother. But at least for me, that's what I seek from Him, a mother's love. The comfort of being able to crawl into His arms after making a huge mistake and know that, as tears are wiped away, that everything is going to be all right, that as I face an uncertain future, He will be there no matter what. My mom died when I was in my early 20s and I was in a period of rebellion at the time. One of the last things she said to me was "Why don't you cut your hair?" It wasn't really a question and at that point, I felt judgment. But I knew based on my experience of those prior 20 years, she loved me anyway and that as sick as she was, nothing would ever separate me from her love. Weakness and dependence supposedly describe a "Mama's Boy." Heavenly Father, maker of all, I want to be your Mama's Boy.

1 comment: