Friday, January 7, 2011

Let It Be


5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.” Matthew 6:5-9

Father, does this mean if people actually begin to read this blog that this won’t be prayer but spectacle? I’ve been part of churches for a long time now and this passage of your word has always caused me to doubt. I’ve heard long, long prayers seemingly aimed more at the audience than anywhere.

This is one of the things you already know, that I need to read your word every day. And you know that I have been trying to do that. In fact it was earlier today that I read this passage in Matthew as part of an on-line Bible reading program. And it was yesterday that I believe you were telling me to stop delaying and to start blogging. I guess I would like it if people read and responded but I don’t want that to be my reward.

I really do want to write to you, Father. I want to ask you questions that have been bouncing around my head for years. Of course, that too is part of the mystery. You already know those questions just as you already know my needs. Why is it not enough to just let that be? Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Todd, you are no Pharisee in any sense of the word that I can tell. If God says write, you go ahead. The Pharisees were not really praying, they were pretending to pray, while seeking honor and veneration from what they saw as lesser people. When folk gave with trumpets, they were not really giving, they were purchasing a reputation. The Holy Spirit will tell you if you ever write anything to get instead of to give. And you I know, will edit when you need to. This is a blessing to read!

    ReplyDelete