Saturday, September 13, 2014

Psalm 91, Angels and Motor Scooters

A week ago with one of my daughters on the back of my motor scooter, I passed out and crashed in a nearby neighborhood. My Facebook post the next morning summarized the event and received a large number of "likes" and comments: Had a "touched by an angel" experience yesterday. As I write this from my hospital, I marvel how blessed I am. Lost consciousness on my scooter with LiLi on the back and crashed. I believe an angel must have provided both of us a landing into a soft green lawn instead of trees, oncoming traffic or down a ravine, any of which might have met us on our short ride home after breakfast. LiLi was a trooper calling for help and remaining courageous. Being worked up for a pacemaker but thanking The Lord today on His day.

After four nights in the hospital and being fitted with a defibrillator, I am home reflecting again about this latest miracle or visitation by an angel. Some might think I'm being too dramatic with this description, but this isn't the first time my life has been spared, and I think the answer can be found in Psalm 91.

Ah, Psalm 91. Back in early January 2008 recovering from a ruptured appendicitis in the hospital, I suffered a sudden cardiac arrest which lasted 12 minutes receiving seven sets of shocks and continuous CPR. In hospital language, I was "circling the drain." A major heart attack had also occurred and my wife called in all of our praying friends. On the following day while I remained in critical condition, an old pastor friend visited me, praying boldly and confidently the words of Psalm 91. After two days of unconsciousness, I heard his voice and recognized his presence and reached my hand up to take hold of his. From that moment all who were following my case sensed I had turned the corner and within a week, I left the hospital with my third stent and damaged heart in tow. But I was alive and according to my friend, he had prayed to "raise the dead" and didn't know until the moment he left my side that I would survive. But the psalm he prayed not only suggested that I would, it just about predicted it.

So what does the psalm say?
Psalm 91:11-12, 15-16 NIV
[11] For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; [12] they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.

[15] He will call on me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. [16] With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation.

Fast forward six and a half years. I had been fighting the idea of a defibrillator even though its main purpose is to prevent another sudden cardiac arrest. Sudden cardiac arrests are always accompanied by loss of consciousness. So this Saturday morning the angels of Psalm 91 were not finished. I remember saying to LiLi that I needed to pull over and the next thing I remember is waking on the soft green lawn. I had driven the scooter about 50 yards after passing out, across a lane of traffic up a curb that just happened to be one of those gentle types that wouldn't throw us over the handlebars. As the scooter slowed to a stop both of us fell off into the grass, neither of us injured from the crash. (You will not strike your foot against a stone.) As I lay in the grass for another few minutes or so LiLi summoned for help at the top of her lungs and stayed by my side until I came back. The rest is a blur of 911 calls, police and fire personnel arriving and a trip to the ER. One of the men from my group at church texted to say he was praying Psalm 91 over me.

For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.

Thank you, Lord Jesus.



No comments:

Post a Comment